Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, January 21, 2011

Ugh!!

This has been our first full week back since winter break. I have been working like crazy to make up for some lost time in the classroom. It has come to my attention that my kids are not doing as well this year with reading and writing! I feel like they should be a little further along than they are.  So let's see...

Things that I am noticing in my students:
  1. I have taught them their letters & letter sounds, and the majority of my students are able to identify them all. Yay!
  2. I have taught high frequency words, most of the students can read them, but most of them are not trasferring this knowledge into their writing.
  3. I am enlisting parental help with the above concepts.
  4. I do not have an assistant during my reading time, and I am having a hard time meeting everyone's needs on a daily/weekly basis.
  5. My writing block is at the end of the day and my students are having a hard time staying focused during my mini lessons.
Ideas to improve my readers & writers:
  1. More interactive and/or assisted writing early in the day.
  2. Having my assistant work on targeted skills with small groups instead of individually.
  3. Modeling my thinking...I have been trying this one out for the last couple of days, and I am starting to see some changes in my students. I am hoping that doing this more frequently will trigger their higher level thinking skills.
  4. Expecting more from my students!
I am hoping that I can get everyone back up to the level that I expect them to be at at this point in the year. I know that they are capable, I am just going to have to push them a little harder..

0 comments:

Post a Comment